Saturday, February 4, 2017

Week 29

January 16, 2017

Hello my lovely friends and family!!!

First off, I love you all. Please know that ❤🙂 

I think this week was the first time I prayed for my mission to pass by slower.  The weeks are flying by, and I am starting to freak out a little bit.  Because I only have 11 more months.......... 

But this week was QUITE the adventure. Let me tell yall about it!

Long story short, on Tuesday my companion was in a lot of pain, and she fainted!  Thankfully I caught her 💪 okay wow, my mom always told me that if someone tried to kidnap me, then I should go limp, because you´re heavier when you are limp.  NOW I know this is 1000% true.  #NeverGoingToStopDoingPushups  No, but really it was a miracle.  Because we were walking down the stairs, and she started to get really weak, but she didn´t faint until we reached the bottom. I don´t know what I would´ve done if she had fainted on the stairs!  

There´s a book series that I LOVE. It´s called the Muirwood series. It was written by a member of my church and has a lot of similarities.  (YALL NEED TO READ IT ASAP, it´s soooooo good) But this week I basically told my companion the whole story of what happens in the series, and that was really fun for me!  But let me tell you, it was so hard to remember haha. Man I think that I have forgotten SO many things from before the mission!  I´m not sure if that is good or bad?  (mom, wanna help my memory out with the books??)

So as missionaries we are always trying to find new people to teach, but we also teach people who are "less active" in the church.  And the area that I am in right now, was recently divided, so we have been having a hard time finding "less actives."  BUT Heavenly Father is so good, and this week we found TWO families!!! How neat is that?? I was really grateful :)

What else?  Oh yeah! Okay so you guys know the game MASH?? It´s a funny game that young girls play to see what their destiny will be.  Well this week, we were at the church with an investigator while her mom was meeting with other missionaries, and we played that game for her! It was really funny, because I didn´t think that they had this game in Brasil, but I was wrong!  

So this week I have been studying a talk called "the Fourth Missionary."  IT IS FANTASTIC.  I´ve read it before, but I figured it was time to read it again.  It´s specifically for missionaries, but you all should read it as well!!!!  

This talk talks a lot about how we are in control of who we want to become.  It explains how we arent born with one "set in stone" set of personalities and characteristics. It explains how we have the blessing to change.

"The purpose and central blessing of life is change. It is to be changed to become more like Jesus Christ.  It is to incorporate into your character the qualities of His character.  It is to move from one degree of intelligence and capacity to the next, and from there to the next, until you see God face to face and know Him as He knows you."

Isn´t that so wonderful???

IT GETS BETTER

The auther, Lawrence E. Corbridge then explains that we literally have the power to choose what we want. He shared the scripture Alma 29:4-5,

"for I know that he (God) granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he alloweth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their will whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction.. he that knoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires, whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of conscience."

When I read that scripture I knew that it was true. It is SO true. It says three times that we have the ability to choose how we want to be.  And, if our "desires" are the same as God´s, then He will bless us with what we want. 

Looking back on my life now, I recognize that this has happened a lot to me-  I can see now which desires I had that were the same as God´s desires for me, based on the blessings I´ve rece3ived in my life.  

I really like what Lawrence Corbridge says about all of this, "if you want a 'mess of pottage' then that is all you will get.  If you want light, intelligence, strength, capacity, peace, contentment, grace, knowledge, power, happiness, mercy, joy, and every other good thing, then you may have those too. It is up to you.  Whatever you want."

So.  I invite you all to think about THAT this week, AND, to read this talk!

xo Sister Councill

ps wow sorry this letter is SUPER long 

pps sorry last week my flash drive wasn´t working, but here are some pictures from the last few weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment